2023 Range Rover, Range Rover Sport score a 5-Star NCAP rating
Prepare to be (predictably) disappointed if you were thinking that the flagship Range Rovers would score any less
Footballers and popstars of this world, have a sigh of relief. The Land Rover Ranger Rover and Range Rover Sport luxury off-road SUVs have scored 5 Star safety ratings in the Euro NCAP Safety tests. Meaning, your bejeweled teeth (or faces), expensive faces (or teeth), as well as the poor peasants that might happen to be in the way of your swanky Range Rovers will face little harm if you were to crash it into them. Or into their belongings. The new Range Rovers are based on Land Rover’s new Modular Longitudinal Architecture platform. The mixed-metal architecture has made the new Range Rover 50% stiffer than it predecessor while the new Sport is 35% stiffer. The New Range Rover scored 87 per cent for Child Occupant Protection and 72 per cent for Vulnerable Road Users, while the Range Rover Sport achieved an 85 per cent rating for Adult Occupant Protection. Both SUVs obtained 82 per cent for Safety Assist.
Thomas Mueller, Executive Director Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover, said, “ These excellent Euro NCAP results are a direct result of the hard work and expertise that goes into designing, engineering and manufacturing vehicles that have combined safety, capability and luxury for more than five decades. Our strong, mixed metal MLA-Flex body architecture provides solid foundations for a suite of cutting-edge active safety systems that combined, work in harmony to protect occupants and other road users. These Range Rovers are a technological triumph.”
The new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport share a range of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) designed to support the driver and protect occupants, including:
- 3D Surround Camera and ClearSight Ground View – the surround camera system provides a 3D, 360-degree view around the vehicle and can display several views simultaneously on the touchscreen display when manoeuvring – giving the driver detailed information about their surroundings. ClearSight Ground View allows drivers to see the hidden area directly ahead of, and beneath, the bonnet on the central touchscreen display.
- Driver Condition Response – brings the vehicle to a halt and initiates the hazard warning lights if the driver fails to respond to a series of audio-visual prompts.
- Pre-emptive suspension – the suspension automatically switches to Dynamic mode when the Forward Collision Warning system detects a collision risk, assisting the driver if evasive maneuvers are required by delivering the most agile responses.
- Adaptive Cruise Control and Steering Assist – Adaptive Cruise Control maintains a set cruising speed for the vehicle. The vehicle’s speed automatically reduces if a slower-moving vehicle is detected in the lane ahead. Steering Assist helps the driver keep the vehicle in the centre of its lane by making minor steering adjustments.
- Park Assist – detects available parking spaces and maneuvers the vehicle into parallel and perpendicular spaces. Park Assist controls the vehicle during a maneuver using the steering, acceleration, gear selection and braking.
The flagship SUVs were launched in India this year, with prices starting at Rs. 1.64 crore for the RR Sport and Rs. 2.31 Crore for the RR Vogue.