SUV is a loose term that traditionally covers a broad range of vehicles with four-wheel drive that can be taken off-road and have the feel of a lighter truck.
While the term SUV can be applied to larger vehicles, such as the Range Rover, Chevrolet Suburban, and Jeep-like SUVs, it can also apply to smaller vehicles that don’t have four-wheel drive. Further, that has a minimum capability of going off-road like the Honda CRV and crossover SUVs. Sport-utility is more than just a technical term for the SUV.
It also means that the vehicle can get things done and has a quality made for the outdoors, such as scaling different terrains.
Popularity of SUVs
SUVs accounted for 36.8 of the worldwide passenger car market in 2017. SUV sales then rose by 2.6% in 2019. Over a million of those sales were new SUVs or light pickup trucks.
Varieties in SUVs
SUVs ( Sports Utility Vehicle) are broadly divided into two types. One type is for hauling heavy loads or going off-road, such as the Toyota 4Runner. Meanwhile the other is known for its sleek looks and secure handling. Undoubtedly, both types can tackle slippery road conditions and shallow standing water like the Ford Flex.
Advantages of SUVs
- SUVs can provide large interior spaces and two or three rows of seating.
- SUVs give their owners flexibility in transporting people and cargo.
- A strong engine and powerful towing capabilities of SUVs is what makes them admirable.
- It can tackle slippery road conditions and shallow standing water smoothly.
Disadvantages of SUVs
- SUVs don’t have the best fuel economy.
- SUVs are not so pocket friendly.
- The owner may have to struggle while finding a perfect parking space due to their bulk size.
Top SUVs Available in India
Hyundai Venue, KIA Seltos, KIA Sonet, Hyundai Creta, Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Mahindra XUV300, Tata Harrier, Mahindra XUV500, Tata Nexon, Nissan Magnite, Mahindra Thar, Tata Creta, Maruti Swift, Tara Altroz, Maruti Dzire, Maruti Ertiga, MG Hector, Renault KWID, Toyota Fortuner, Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra Baleno and much more.